surly adj : inclined to anger or bad feelings with overtones of menace; "a surly waiter"; "an ugly frame of mind" [syn: ugly] [also: surliest, surlier]
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)li
- In an arrogant or supercilious manner.
- 1623: Against the Capitol I met a lion / Who glazed upon me, and went surly by — William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar I.iii
- ttbc French: bourru, maussade, renfrogné
Surly is an English word meaning gruff, rude, or ill-tempered. It may also refer to:
- Surly (band), an alternative rock band from Limerick City, Ireland
- In The Simpsons, Surly is one of the Seven Duffs.
- Surly Bikes, Bloomington, MN, USA.
- Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center, MN, USA.
- Surly Wench Pub, Tucson, AZ, USA
- Surly FDA, A video by newgrounds.com www.newgrounds.com/fda/surly.html.
abrupt, aggressive, argumentative, bad-tempered, bearish, beastly, beetle-browed, bilious, black, black-browed, bluff, blunt, boorish, brash, brusque, cantankerous, cavalier, choleric, churlish, crabbed, crabby, cross, crotchety, crusty, curt, dark, dejected, discourteous, dour, dumpish, dyspeptic, fractious, frowning, glowering, glum, grim, grouchy, gruff, grum, grumpy, harsh, ill-humored, ill-mannered, ill-natured, ill-tempered, irritable, lowering, melancholy, moodish, moody, mopey, moping, mopish, morose, mumpish, obnoxious, obstreperous, peevish, quarrelsome, rough, rude, saturnine, scowling, severe, sharp, short, short-tempered, snappish, snippy, splenetic, sulky, sullen, temperamental, testy, touchy, truculent, ugly, uncivil, ungracious, unpleasant, waspish